Stippling Fun


   With all the commission work that I've received this spring and summer, I haven't been able to find time to do much in terms of fantasy work for fun ( = pieces I make for the Enchanted Visions Project or others for personal enjoyment).  But as the saying goes, "All work and no play...", my productivity wasn't the best in the past week, so I decided to take a mental break from the commission work and do a drawing 'just for fun'.

   I wanted to submit something other than "Circe" for the Greek Mythology theme at the EMG-Zine, and I have been thinking about the cloud nymph idea, so I decided to go ahead and draw the whole thing in pen, using only the stippling technique.  Stippling is a technique I have always enjoyed using for shading, but I have never done an entire piece with it.  I also love the look of a piece done with this technique, and since the mental image I had for this theme called for a lot of clouds in the scene, I thought it would be a good match for the subject matter.

   It took me about 6 to 7 hours for the whole thing over 2 days.  It's simple, but I like it. ^^  It was a nice return to my roots -- doodles in biro.  Although the idea of stippling the entire piece may be tedious to many,  I find the process relaxing mentally and meditative at times.   I enjoy sitting down with a piece of blank paper and spending time alone with it.


Comments

Popular Posts