New Piece in My Poppy Series

After painting a blue and white, I felt the urge to make a red poppy illustration.  I generally enjoy drawing all kinds of flowers, but poppies, roses, and peonies tend to be my first choice in many of my fantasy artwork.  I do have a series of 5" x 7" ink & watercolor of poppies going currently.  This one is the third and it's red.


This is a work-in-progress snapshot after I did a quick wash of brown and red watercolor over my inked lines and sprinkled a little bit of salt along the outer edges of the image.   I am still undecided whether to give greenish turquoise accent on this piece or just stick to monochromatic color scheme.  I know for sure I don't want to go with green for the seed pod, leaves, and buds.   And I am not interested in introducing any yellow whatsoever into this.  A part of me really liked the last ACEO ("Red Rose Fairy") with reddish brown hair, dark violet eyes and deep red flowers.  I can envision something similar to that for this one, too.  I'll leave her like this for the rest of the evening, and will decide tomorrow morning.  Maybe she'll tell me what she wants. ^^;  (It's been a really long time since I could imagine my characters talking.)

EDIT: Saturday, October 5, 2013
Just finished "Red Poppies".  Decided to stick with monochromatic scheme after all.  Also decided to keep things loose outside of the focus area of the elf's face.  I love playing with the random effect of watercolor .


Comments

Popular Posts