First Sketch Fest of 2014

It's been crazy busy since mid-December and things have not slowed down! XD  I seem to be putting in more hours than ever into my art business, but there also seems to be ever-growing number of things to take care of that keep popping up along the way.  Knock one thing off the list, and two new things appear. ^^;

I have not been able to keep up with my blog as often as I wanted to, but I can't complain.  After all, I am making a living, doing what I enjoy.  That's really all we can ask for in life, isn't it?

I've been spending a lot of time revamping my AuroraWings web site to add a store for my digital stamps.  The sheer volume of the digital stamps I already have makes this an enormous task for a team of one. XD  It really does keep one busy day after day.  Adding to the mix, trying to introduce new digi's by either processing new drawings or some existing pieces from a few years back... no wonder commission inquiries don't get replies from me right away! ^^;  (Seriously, my bad...)

I did make time to participate in Sketch Fest #46.  I couldn't participate on Friday, so for me, it became just a day-and-a-half event of Saturday afternoon and Sunday till 3 pm.  Decided to mostly focus on some Valentine's Day prompts.  I'd like to take the "kill two birds with one stone" approach at every Sketch Fest since I'm always short on time -- make pieces that work as a stand alone ACEOs but be sure to make lines usable as digital stamps.  My manga-inspired style is actually perfect for this task.  Line art is an integral step in the final product whether I color the piece or not, so at least, the approach does not require any additional step (aside from my remembering to scan the piece after inking is complete and before watercolor is applied).


"Valentine Kitty" ACEO (2.5 " x 3.5" on bristol vellum in ink & watercolor), to a prompt of the same title.  *** SOLD ***    I love painting white fluffball kitties.  XD  Some prompts at Sketch Fest just seem to have my name on them.


The next promt to catch my eye was "blinged up seahorse with wings".  Hehe, seriously, I loved the mental image that popped up in my head and once I put a piece of paper down on the desk, I was good to go.  The magical creature kind of appeared out of nowhere. :D  It was getting late too, and I didn't have natural light, so... yeah, this squinty bright guy came to be.  He was done very quickly, and it all felt wonderful. :D  3.5" x 5" in ink & watercolor on bristol vellum (140 lb.).


Another prompt I couldn't resist was the "ballerina kitten".  I swear, they do this on purpose, knowing that I'm a crazy cat lady.  Precious though, if I may say so myself. XD  Jet puffed marshmallow ballerina kitten in pointe shoes.  Kind of weird, but let's not over-think this.  ACEO in ink & watercolor. *** SOLD ***


"Floral Masquerade".  Now I remember why I had to finish writing this entry!  I never got to finish this one in color!!!  Well, it's a little more complex than the other ones so far, and also this one was a little larger...3.5" x 5".  Need to color her so I can get the digi version released. ^^;


I stopped this one after inking the sketched lines because I knew there was no way I would be able to finish this girl in an hour with watercolor.  "Valentine Girl with Freckles" was the prompt.  So cute!  Loved the idea!


After I had uploaded the inked line version of this girl, I got working on her with watercolor.  She was a lot of fun to color.  ACEO is always tricky since they're so small, but it's nice to have projects that are done and over with quickly every now and then.  (I'd be the first to admit that I have not been able to commit myself to large-scale full-out fantasy pieces in a while.  Miss it.)

I'm currently extremely involved in a digital stamp related project for my business.  And that's why I have not been actively posting sketches and WIPs on art places online or on my fb page.  There are only 24 hours in a day and one can only reasonably do so much... ^^;

Comments

  1. Oh, my! Your artwork is just brilliant! I am in love with every piece & although I could never come near to the beauty you create, I can't wait to get some of your digi images to play with! Your women are unbelievably beautiful and the kittens are captured to perfection. Admitting you are a crazy cat lady just gave you bonus points, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sherri! Haha, yes, I'm a self-professed crazy cat lady!! :D Thank you for your comment! *hugs*
      Mitzi

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts