Peony Pyrography Project Finished


I was finally able to take some pictures of this wood burn project (7.5 x 9.5 inches) this afternoon when we had a nice break from the rain.  The sky cleared up, the sun came out, and I was able to make use of nice indirect sunlight.  ^_^

Since the humidity was high all day due to rain showers since last night, I haven't had a chance to put clear matte acrylic coats on this wood yet, but the burning and tinting are done.  It's a nice little feng shui decoration for the wall as peony signifies beauty and love.  And this is an image of a "pair" of blooms.


Here's a close-up of the shading and coloring.  I mix my own colors out of paint that come out of tubes.  The paint was thinned a lot with water, very much like how I normally paint with watercolor on paper.  But I liked the way the basswood just drinks it all up very quickly.  It's probably a good idea for me to let the wood dry out completely by leaving this alone for a few days.  Western Colorado is usually very arid with less than 10% humidity for average, but because of the showers, the humidity is much higher at the moment.


This wood piece had pretty routed edges, and I just couldn't resist expanding the image past the surface area onto the edge - but only on the right side of the image.  ^_^

I had so much fun with this project.  I like working with wood, and I most definitely like the smell of burning wood.  I also love drawing, so I feel it's only natural that I enjoy wood burning so much. :D  

Comments

  1. Oh, the coloring on this is just exquisite, Mitzi! What a fabulous project. We had a bit of rain today too. Hope your birthday tomorrow is all kinds of sunny. Have a wonderful day! xxD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts