I'm still doodling...

This video clip here (courtesy of TED) is a scientific look and a call for reevaluation of the act of doodling (It's certainly not a waste of time ^_^ ).  Years ago, I did colored pencil, pastel and watercolor art that was "serious" (= "fine art").  Although it really didn't thrill me personally, I did well and got fair recognition for the work.  I had a long hiatus while I had a chance to be involved in the world of dance, which was another of my childhood dreams.  It's only after my freak accident and injury that finally made me return to art almost 3 years ago.  When I did though, it was doodling that I was actively doing.  And I can't tell you how therapeutic it was... for my heart and soul.

These doodles quickly evolved.  Very quickly. What started out as a mindless, no-plan, just-fill-in-the-open-space activity for me evolved into more and more intricate, clean, detailed drawings in black and white.  These drawings then started to get hints of color.  From there, a fully colored renditions followed.  All within a matter of months -- 5 months to be precise.  These days, I still call my art "doodles".  It takes the pressure off me and remove any pretense or delusion that what I am doing is all that important.  I really do consider my current work to be 'elaborate doodles' and not 'art'.  I'm fortunate and grateful that I get paid for my 'doodles', although I use that term only when I'm with close friends and family. ^^;

The word 'doodle', to me, implies all the fun of childhood.  The very word and the act of doodling bring me back to the carefree time when we didn't care if the sky wasn't blue in our drawings or if someone had one eye much bigger than the other... etc.  It was all done FOR FUN.  There's something that is purely creative about doodling and that pure creativity can be fleeting.  I know this for a fact (There's nothing like a deadline or an overly specific request to cause a dreaded art block.).  Most of us tend to think too much and analyze things way too much.  For many, all that thinking and analyzing can be paralyzing for their creativity.  My brain seems to relax when I call my art activity 'doodling', and I've been most pleased with my recent body of doodle works.  I can see 'me' in every one of them.  I'm not pretending to be someone else, painting/drawing someone else's subject matter in someone else's style.  When I doodle, it's the 'real me' inside that some call the inner child.  And when I doodle, this inner child is very, very happy. :D  I've been getting lots of positive feedback that other people are enjoying my fantasy 'doodles' these days.  It's really delightful.  I can't ask for anything more.


* Sunni Brown: Doodlers, unite!

Comments

Popular Posts