Thursday, April 23, 2015

Peony Wood Burn Project

When I went supply shopping the other day after finishing the rooster project, I needed to get me a can of clear matte acrylic finish to put on my first project.  I also went looking for additional points for my Versa Tool since I really wanted the flow point in a smaller size.  The one that came with my Versa Tool is nice, but a little too thick for my drawing style.  ^^;  The local shop had an assorted pack of 5 additional points, and luckily for me, one of which was the 'mini flow point'.  *score*  Even though I ended up with four extra points that I didn't have immediate need for (or duplicates), it was still a good deal.   I was able to finish the rooster project and wood burn my signature and year on the back with the new mini flow point.  *happy*


Now I'm working on the second wood burn project.  This time, it's a nice rectangle piece of basswood with beveled edges.  Main burning surface measuring 7.5 x 9.5 inches (I'm guessing that the back side measurement would be 8 x 10.).  I originally sketched out a design on a piece of scrap paper.  Realized it was a tad too big for the project piece, so I scanned the image and reduced the size by 10%.  Then really needed a carbon paper - the good old-fashioned carbon paper that used to be used copies of receipts and whatnot.  I had to do a shopping search online and found out they sold it at nearby Office Max.  Off I went.  I was looking in the regular office supply zone where they sell different kinds of paper.  Finally I had to ask for help of a store associate.  ^^;  He took me to the far wall past computers and printers where they actually had typewriters in stock! I couldn't help but blurt out, "Oh, wow!  Didn't know you guys still sold these things.  Now it makes perfect sense that you'd carry carbon paper right here.".  The guy told me they sell almost one a day!  Who knew?

With the carbon paper in place, I was able to trace my sketch onto the piece of wood without making a huge mess with graphite.  No smudging, and it didn't require excessive pencil pressure, either.  *nice*


It was getting kind of late, but I went ahead and used my new 'mini flow point' to do the outline.  This baby is so smooth.  It was fun to burn the outline. :D  The tiny details in the center of the flowers were burned with a 'mini universal tip'.


Replaced the tip to the regular universal tip to do the shading of the petals with stippling technique.  ^_^  I'm liking the way this is turning out so far. :D  After I write up this post (thus have a break), I'll get back to the flower to the right, and off to do the leaves.  Haven't decided how I'll shade the leaves yet, but I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to think about it as I work on the second flower's shading.  Will be back with more WIP shots either later today or tomorrow.

Oh, and while I was shopping for the can of clear acrylic and a set of burner points, I did pick up a wooden trinket box. :D  It was ridiculously inexpensive, but I saw potential in the shape.  Yes, lots of potential! :D

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you've got a fun new hobby! WOW! I'm loving how this is turning out. xxD

    ReplyDelete