Enchanted Visions Project's Theme "Changes"

For the current theme, due on April 9, 2013, "Changes", I'm making an image that's rather inspired by the Japanese noh masks and a bit of Jungian psychology.  In the noh plays, there are female characters who are regular women who turn into demons (hannya) out of extreme anger and/or jealousy.  The masks are something I often enjoy drawing -- I particularly enjoy drawing Venetian masks with bird beaks.  They are the very essence of different aspects of personality within an individual in this image that I'm working on.


The original ink drawing measures 9"x12", so drawing these masks were a little difficult since they got so small, but I like the overall image as it stands now and definitely like the concept.  I'm going to call it "Metanoia", not in a religious sense of the word as it is used in Christianity, but in a Jungian psychology term describing the event of a psychotic episode which is described as "a spontaneous attempt of the psyche to heal itself of unbearable conflict by melting down and then being reborn in a more adaptive form".  The woman's mask of choice is definitely that of the hannya (demon) out of all others that are around her.

As for colors, I haven't decided what scheme to go with just yet.  I did the line art on vellum so that if and when I decide I want to make a traditional art version of it in watercolor or acrylic, it will be possible to do so.  Meanwhile though, my first coloring attempt will be in digital for the Enchanted Visions Project's submission.

Comments

Popular Posts