ACEO Commission

Due to the shifts in my art business' focus, I have recently closed all commission requests on all of my sites (my main art site, deviantART, requests coming via FB, etc.) indefinitely, except for the commission listings on Etsy.  I can no longer take large commissions or commissions of a series of images because of the time commitment they require.  I've come to a point where revenues from this type of commission no longer make much financial sense (far overshadowed by my shop's performance).  In the past few months, I've declined so many commission requests, if this was me from a year ago, I would have been saying, "You're nuts!".  

It's undeniable though, that there is something so empowering about being in a position and being able to afford to say 'no' to work that does not interest me or would have little to no consequence on my future (or my family's) ...or my wallet.  I am no longer interested in signing licensing contract for various products, either, for that matter.  It was fun while I was new at this, but I've come to realize the obvious that no one can push you and your products harder than yourself.  

I will, however, continue to make small (and therefore, quick) commissions, such as ACEOs, available at my Etsy shop for those who are interested.  They're not inhibitive in terms of cost, and they're a great way for a new art collectors to begin their collection of originals.  

My most recent ACEO commission was from a big fan of my digital stamps and a very active member/contributor at my Facebook group.  She loves my mask series of digi's and has a collection of porcelain masks herself, and she wanted to have an original ACEO of her own.


"Harlequinade" commissioned ACEO in ink & watercolor on bristol vellum (140 lb.)
The communication is always smooth with this client. :D  She sent me photos of the Venetian mask, rose, and lilies for me to base my ACEO on.  The rest was left up to me to play and have fun.  I always enjoy when a client leaves me with plenty of room to breathe and play. (I will decline any commission request that are so crammed with crazy details that stifle my creativity.  Honestly, I do not know of any artist who likes this.  I also decline any request to draw something that is just not my taste.  In another words, if I feel reluctant to put my signature on the concept described, I will not take it. ^^; )  The whole process goes smoothly and quickly.    It took me a while to set a time aside (with so much going on in my other projects), but once I sat down to focus, it was all smooth saling.

And when I asked her if she would like a digital stamp version of the line art made (since she is an avid papercrafter), she said "yes".  So I was able to add this pretty work to be offered as a digi in my shop.

Digital stamp listing image for "Harlequinade"
Available at my Etsy shop.
She loved both the ACEO and the digi, and told me how it was in honor of her mother, who loved and collected these beautiful masks.  I've done a lot of commissions over the years, but the most special ones are those where the pieces are being done in the memory of our loved ones.  I always feel honored to do this type of work.  :)

Comments

  1. I really need to visit your blog more! This really touched my heart! Thank you so much for your beautiful work. I'm a forever fan that's for sure. Huge hugs and loves!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ Thanks, but I tend to forget to post here with all that going on elsewhere. Thank you, though, for your comment, Helen!! *hugs*

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts